Skip to main content

Slicehost => Rackspace rage

For my side project Owely.com I've used Slicehost VDS solution, it worked fine, I've liked minimalistic Control Panel and really great tutorials how to setup environment from scratch. I really think they have best knowledge base online. Slicehost wasn't cheapest solution, but there was no complains from my side, they worked like clock, I never considered moving to other hosting provider, so when I've heard that they was acquired by Rackspace already then had this bad feeling. Then thought "ok, may be I'm too worried, may be it's for better" and tried to migrate in new env. 

First day

There was my mistake trying to use CentOS, I've researched and they say it's more stable and secured, but.... RedHad package manager don't know anything about ImageMagick higher than 6.1 or 6.2 don't remember, for new gems I was required to use >6.3, so I've spend few hours trying to set it up manually, then compile from sources then voodoo magick. I'm not Linux guru, just skilled developer, so couldn't figure out what to do, read a lot of forums without any clue how ot fix it, it always was "Magick_config not found". And thing that git and other useful tools are not included in package manager was strange from my perspective. 

First thing was really wrong with Rackspace they asked me to call Support to activate account, Huh? O_o? First hosting provider in my life who asked for that.

Then when I've created new Cloud Server it just displayed me "Oops error" and created 2 instances. I've removed all of them and created again, than it worked fine. I've thought "May be it just first sign up, I can understand, I'm developer. Shit happens. At least it works now" and that was my mistake. Because when I went to DNS it crashed again. After relogin I've managed to add staging domain just to test before actual moving there.

Late night I've decided to add one more DNS record in Rackspace and couldn't do it . Again this "Oops error" and just contacted Support chat describing my problem, guy said that it's just maintenance release and some parts of CP won't work this night. "Ok, it explains why there was problems during day, but they supposedly should start it at night. Hm..."

Second day

Still cann't access my DNS records, setting everything up now with Ubuntu, it was easier than CentOS, configured Capistrano and tested everything - it works. Now we can try to put production there. "Oops,..." WTF?????

Writing to support:

Support: It seems that you added wrong record in DNS. Have you added same record in Godaddy"(where I host my domain)
Me: Yes but it should be wrong DNS record, it just subdomain, it worked fine
Support: Hm, it seems that other customers experience same problem, I will create ticket for you

Ok, ticket created, but now I feel uncomfortable, 2nd day I'm running new instance and I can not do much with it. Is this real hosting? Even really cheap hosting worked fine and this is world known and with this? I don't like it, I WANT MY SLICEHOST BACK!!! 

Relax, keep trying to change DNS every 2 hours. Deciding that I will give them one more day, like if it gonna work I will migrate everything during weekend, that would be perfect

 

Third day (Friday)

No news on Rackspace describing they have blocker error in Control Panel it really important setting which is DNS. No update of ticket. Still "Oops" and no chance I will do migration and don't forget I'm already paying for this crap. I know guys my patience is short but never in my 10 years of web development I've experienced such bad Control Panel solution with so much errors, they are everywhere and I can't take it no more. Just wrote letter to SliceHost that I love them and want them back and removed my cloud server instance from Rackspace, 2 days throwed away.
Don't do my mistakes, don't migrate in Rackspace, I really don't recommend this to any of my friends. Waste of a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Magento sucks?!

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 13.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; color: #1022a3} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 13.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial} p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial} p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; min-height: 15.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px color: #000000} span.s2 {text-decoration: underline ; letter-spacing: 0.0px} span.s3 {letter-spacing: 0.0px} span.s4 {text-decoration: underline ; letter-spacing: 0.0px color: #1022a3} This post was inspired by  http://www.commercestyle.com/e-commerce/magneto-sucks I don't agree on everything that wrote there, I won't say that is so sucky and hard. It's childish way to say system is too complicated, read the f**king manual, omg is this so hard?! So from perspective technical guy that have a lot of finished high loaded projects on the back, I want to explain my "sucky" point about it.  1) The thing that bothers me for last few weeks is news about Magento acquir

Bounds.intersect is bad, mkay?!

I was trying to check when enemy ships are getting out of screen to destroy objects (optimization). First version Vector2 screenSize = new Vector3 (Screen.width, Screen.height, Mathf.Abs (Camera.main.transform.position.z)); Bounds screenBounds = new Bounds (new Vector2(0f,0f), screenSize); Debug.Log ("Ship " + ship.renderer.bounds + " Screen " + screenBounds); if (!ship.renderer.bounds.Intersects (screenBounds)) ship.Destroy (); So apparently this operation is taking significant time to check, end up replacing with this Vector3 screenPos = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint( ship.transform.position ); Vector3 screenSize = Camera.main.WorldToScreenPoint( ship.renderer.bounds.size); if (screenPos.x + screenSize.x < 0) ship.Destroy ();

Magento API + Java != Friends

Recently I've had a task to write small integration of Java to the Magento API, and meet a lot of troubles on the way. First of all Magento supports SOAP web-services that actually don't work well, I've found one solution http://code.google.com/p/magja I didn't tried because we spend much time trying to make them work with no result, so next was XML RPC based API that worked quite well on PHP examples, but caused more trubles. Login worked pretty well: XmlRpcClientConfigImpl config = new XmlRpcClientConfigImpl(); config.setServerURL(new URL("http://magento.dev/index.php/api/xmlrpc/")); XmlRpcClient client = new XmlRpcClient(); client.setConfig(config); Vector params = new Vector(); params.addElement( "defsan" ); params.addElement("123456"); String session = (String)client.execute( "login", params ); But other call's did worked, instead they show: Exception